Monday, December 15, 2008






Three passions have governed my life:

The longings for love, the search for knowledge,

And unbearable pity for the suffering of [humankind].


Love brings ecstasy and relieves loneliness.

In the union of love I have seen

In a mystic miniature the prefiguring vision

Of the heavens that saints and poets have imagined.


With equal passion I have sought knowledge.

I have wished to understand the hearts of [people].

I have wished to know why the stars shine.


Love and knowledge led upwards to the heavens,

But always pity brought me back to earth;

Cries of pain reverberated in my heart

Of children in famine, of victims tortured

And of old people left helpless.

I long to alleviate the evil, but I cannot,

And I too suffer.


This has been my life


I found it worth living.


adapted from:

BERTRAND RUSSELL

No comments: